Software Development Manager / Technical Hands on Team Lead
We have an exciting opportunity for a Software Development Manager to join our client, helping them scale the business and fuel their technology success which is at the core of their business. The Role is for a Development Manager, we are either looking for people with experience as a Development Manager or someone that has a Software and Leadership background that wants to step into a Development Manager role.
Our client specialises in the Travel and Tourism industry. They are one of Europe’s largest in their given specialism.
What we’re looking for:
We're on the lookout for an experienced technology leader – you could be a software development team leader or manager right now – who wants to build and lead a great tech team, who will analyse, choose and enhance the right technology (as well as implementing sensible and effective development processes) in order to deliver the platform and technology solutions.
This is a key position within the business that will help steer and shape our future. You will enjoy learning about our business and understanding our strategic technology needs. You will be comfortable learning and working with complex existing platforms. You will be the kind of person who enjoys translating these learnings into our Technology Architecture and Roadmap. And you’re the person to deliver this roadmap leading your tech team and collaborating with the wider company.
The role is hands on, the are currently suing a mix of PHP, React and AWS. They would like someone to have or be able to pick up PHP and to be able to learn React.JS. You will be leading, mentoring, code reviews, Architecting, Managing and Delivering the software solutions
What you’ll be doing:
Working with MD, Exec & Board on Technology Strategy
- Reporting to the Managing Director, you will work with the MD, and the Board to define and agree Business Strategy.
- Secure budgetary approval from Board to ensure that the technology team is structured and resourced appropriately to implement the Technology Roadmap
Define Architecture and Application Development Approach
- Define the Technical Architecture Roadmap. Ensure that the detailed Technical Architecture is correctly designed by pulling together inputs from Exec, Development Team and your own extensive technical experience
- With architecture and roadmap defined, carve out time to personally execute high-quality hands-on coding and system configuration, utilising your skills as an expert technologist to ensure the best solutions are delivered in a timely manner
- Ensure best practice software development processes are utilised by the Dev Team, including Agile Delivery, Code Standards, Peer Review, Coaching, Quality Control, Performance Bechmarking
Delivering Technology Strategy through Timely Project Delivery
- Plan the work required to implement the Technology Strategy and Roadmap for the current financial year, selecting the critical path for investment projects and assigning prioritised projects for delivery to each quarter based on business cases
- Control Technical Teams actual delivery against the Spec, Design and Plan for each project, addressing issues and risks in order to bring project delivery back to plan
- Communicate status of projects against plan to interested stakeholders
Looking after your people
- Co-ordinate hiring efforts for all Technology Team Members
- Co-ordinate career development processes with technical team members to ensure high team retention levels
- Prepare and agree annual IT budget with Managing Director
- Control technology delivery against budget on a monthly basis
Security, Business Continuity and IT Operations
- Define Security Strategy to be implemented to ensure industry best practice security protocols and processes are adopted across the technology stack and related processes
- Implement routine - daily, weekly, monthly – operations and tools to ensure security and business continuity strategy is implemented, monitored and tested
- Ensure regular vulnerability assessments are conducted and any findings addressed
- Ensure regular penetration tests are conducted and their findings addressed
- Ensure industry standard backup and recovery processes are implemented and tested regularly
- Ensure Business Continuity testing is carried out on a routine basis
- Oversee Technology service desk functioning to ensure system uptime is maximised and business interruptions are minimised
- Implement and improve best practice IT operations including appropriate Incident, Problem, Capacity and Change Management processes
What you can do:
We're looking for a technology leader that sets high standards for themselves and challenges themselves and their team to produce their best work. You will enjoy working in a team delivering exceptional work in a collaborative atmosphere.
You will have:
- Demonstrable Technology Architecture, Software Development and Project Delivery experience
- Executive or Board Level Communication experience
- Experience of Growing IT Teams with successes in team member retention
- Experience implementing Security and Business Continuity Best Practice
- In depth knowledge of Amazon Web Services (including Architecture Design, Infrastructure as Code, Autoscaling, Security, Administration)
- PHP will have been recently or still is one of your go to programming languages (you will have experience working with high volume web services, caching, legacy monolith refactoring)
- Exposure to High Availability Databases and Data Modelling
- Strong teamwork and communication skills with technical and non-technical team members
- Great problem solving and organisational skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Experience writing clear specifications from gathered requirements and breaking down projects into simple tasks that can be delegated to keep all business priorities moving forwards.
What we offer:
- Salary: Competitive (£55K to 65K, depending on experience)
- Hours: 40
- Full-time role, with six weeks annual leave inclusive of bank holidays
- Company share scheme - the opportunity exists to own equity in the business which can provide returns as you actively contribute towards the company’s growth targets and ambitions
- Flexibility to work remotely or in Manchester office when required.
- Pension Scheme (once passed probation)
- Flexible hours and remote working days
- Relaxed atmosphere
There will be a three-month probation period to determine whether you are suited to the role within our business.