Software Development Manager
We have an exciting opportunity for a “people’s person” that’s also a Tech lover with a background in Development to effectively work as a Development Manager, to manage outsourced models, Oversee Development partners, keep abreast of technology, create Technology Strategies, Consult and advise clients, Manage the builds of Websites, Mobile apps and accessibility.
Shape the Digital presence of the company in its UK and US offices. Our client believes in working with people, they are a family-owned company and treat employees as part of the family. It’s a company where you will be heard and valued.
If this sounds of interest, please read on
Our client employs smart thinking and industry insight to create positive outcomes for our clients in the financial, professional services and technology sectors.
With offices in New York, London and Hong Kong our specialists’ deep understanding of our clients’ sectors means we challenge thinking, inspire ambition, and deliver meaningful change across their organisations through effective and integrated brand, digital and marketing communications.
About the position of Development Manager
To manage and liaise with software developers, supporting them in building an industry-leading product using robust architectural practices and innovative software solutions that are fit for purpose. You will be responsible for managing a team of permanent, contract and outsourced development teams to meet the company’s goals and objectives.
You will be Scrum Master for the team, able to protect, mentor and grow the development team. Creating and maintaining a professional culture within the team, where individuals take ownership and are fastidious and proud of delivering excellence and quality.
Responsible for the quality and technical approach taken by team members, ensuring it is in-line with the company strategy – and that projects are delivered on time and budget, this is a hands-on role where you will be expected to code and maintain coding standards, hold the overall technical knowledge around client solutions and platforms.
With a minimum of 5 years relevant experience, the Development Manager’s responsibility is to manage web solutions that meet our clients’ needs and help shape our clients digital offering. You will be as comfortable attending meetings with our clients as developing and scoping work with internal teams. Your creativity and technical excellence will manifest itself in a wide range of products and services which will help to distinguish itself from the competition and offer its’ clients a truly engaging and superior interactive experience at every digital touchpoint.
With previous experience in management, you will be responsible for the organisation, support and mentoring of junior members of the team, managing outsourced vendor relationship and development teams. You will play a key role in structuring the development team and supplier network alongside the Senior Management Team.
You must be a commercially astute, understanding the practicalities of resourcing and delivering a digital project well –working alongside the client services team to ensure work is delivered on time and to budget.
Specific operations-related activity
- To manage the IT & Development Operations budget for the UK head office and ensure that the budget is managed and maintained.
- Responsible for ensuring we have the best operations model, including outsource partnerships so that project can be delivered to the highest quality and optimal resource budget.
- With previous experience managing hosting suppliers and ensuring the SLA are followed accordingly.
Overall, the position holder will:
- Full management of the IT & Development Operations IT budget within the parameters given
- Ensuring GDPR compliance & standards
- Relationship management of cloud / hosting suppliers
- Define technical / product roadmap for the product stack
- Evolve the SaaS product offering for the company
- Effectively manage relationships with client contacts (client facing) and internal scrum teams
- Work within client guidelines to produce innovative solutions
- Present work and articulate technical executions at client level
- Take briefs accurately from the Creative Director or other members of the scrum team
- Train and lead, both formally and informally, members of the team in commercial and technical skills
- Monitor the performance and ability of junior developers in team
- Work alongside the Senior Management Team to improve internal and external testing procedures (browser, functional (including SIT) and accessibility testing).
Specific duties include:
- Full operational control of IT & DevOps processes
- Scrum Master, running the full production process ensuring continuous delivery practices
- Being the Lead Architect, Developer and mentor to the development teams while doing some coding alongside them
- Innovation, using the latest technologies
- Managing freelance, outsource and FTE development teams
- Managing IT systems together with our IT partner, overseeing domains and servers
- Creating and implementing the technical / product roadmap
- Producing accurate and detailed technical documentation, i.e., functional & technical specs, user manuals
- Producing comprehensive and accurate estimates for work
- Testing work thoroughly against specifications and test plans to avoid errors and re-work.
Technical skills required:
- Expert management skills & mentoring
- Able to produce high quality and standards compliant back/front-end code (HTML5,CSS, JScript ,.NET Core MVC, C#, php)
- Extensive experience with Umbraco/Sitecore CMS / Wordpress
- Extensive knowledge of MS SQL Server and Cloud SaaS, PaaS and IaaS
- Expert knowledge of source control systems (GIT)
- Expert knowledge of Continuous Integration using Azure Dev OpsExpert knowledge and practical experience with implementing CMS search capabilities using Lucene and SOLR and Azure search.
- Knowledge of the azure platform and its services
- Knowledge of Adobe experience manger
- Knowledge of Adobe Marketo.
Overall, the Development Manager is expected to:
- Be a natural born leader, able to translate complex technical concepts into easy-to-understand language for client and internal team to understand
- Be a strong leader, with a professional attitude and lead by example work ethic
- Be bright, highly self-motivated and driven
- Can multi-task and stay organised in a dynamic work environment
- Be analytical and inquisitive, with excellent attention to detail
- Be credible, confident and articulate, with excellent communication and presentation skills and the gravitas to deliver ideas clearly and concisely to internal and external stakeholders at all levels of seniority
- Be reliable, flexible and cooperative
- Be diplomatic and tactful
- Be personable and approachable, with an enthusiastic and motivational nature and an overall passion for technology